Tuesday 1 October 2013

photographic abstraction #8

With this latest collection of abstract photographs, I find that I’ve nothing new to say. Although when I started this series the only manipulation of the original photos was a small amount of cropping, I’ve subsequently discovered that by increasing the colour saturation, altering the tonal balance and cranking up the contrast, I can also increase the dramatic impact of the images.

As usual, I welcome suggestions for alternative titles, and if you prefer not to see what names I’ve given the pictures, click on the first one to start a slideshow, which conceals my titles. I’m also interested in hearing what you think these are actually photographs of, because the original subject matter isn’t always obvious. In this collection, Blooming is probably the most difficult to identify.

other posts in this series
Photographic Abstraction
Photographic Abstraction #2
Photographic Abstraction #3
Photographic Abstraction #4
Photographic Abstraction #5
Photographic Abstraction #6
Photographic Abstraction #7

blooming

delight

halo

hot pursuit

nirvana

4 comments:

  1. When I saw Blooming, I thought of penicillin mold or lichen. I can see someone's fingers in Halo, and maybe the halo is a sun spot. Delight made me think of a splotch of jellied popsicle or ketchup. Nirvana looks like some type of oily substance on slick pavement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see someone’s fingers in Halo Kris—mine, holding a camera. I was photographing a circular rainbow that appeared on the bottom of my soup pan after I’d cleaned it. Delight is actually another variation on the coffee overflow theme. Your other observations are spot on.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dennis
    Hot pursuit looks like paint spilled on a road. The kind of thing you see and hope it isn't still wet when you run over it. I really like the first and last photos. I have no idea what they are, but you certainly did turn them into something cool and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right about Hot Pursuit Pat. I came across it during one of my Journey to the West excursions and just had to stop and take a few photographs. Blooming is lichen on a large boulder, while Nirvana is an oil/gasoline spill on wet tarmac (I’ve used variations on this theme several times in previous instalments in the series).

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.