Saturday 15 December 2012

bad habits

I probably have more bad habits than you could shake a stick at, and some are probably so ingrained as to be incurable, but I appear to have developed a quite unwelcome habit over the past couple of years: falling off my bike every December. In December 2010, my bike disappeared from under me (An Apology), skidding on smooth concrete as I turned a corner. Then, last year, I caught my pedal on the ground as I turned another corner (A Momentary Lapse of Concentration), dumping me on the ground before I’d had time to react and fracturing my patella in the process.

This time, it wasn’t my fault; I was taking evasive action to avoid an idiot who had appeared in my path suddenly when I hit the kerb alongside the cycle track. I lost control as a result, and once again I was spared serious injury by my helmet, although I now have a black eye, and extensive abrasions to my left hand mean that I cannot grip the handlebar of my bike.

I had been doing a lot of cycling lately, which is the main reason for the lack of activity on my blog. It had been going extremely well—I’ve been working on an illustrated post that reflects this progress—but I’m now going to have to rest for a few days. It won’t be easy to endure an enforced lay-off, especially as my knee, which gave me a lot of trouble during the summer, has improved rapidly over the past few weeks. Even tough hills have been causing no discomfort, and I’ve been optimistic that a full recovery was within easy reach. I still am, although I now have other injuries to deal with.

I plan to post the article referred to in the previous paragraph within the next day or so, unless my headache gets worse.

14 comments:

  1. not again!
    well, accident happens, regardless whose fault. hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i also like your humorous way to present the accident!

      Delete
    2. I have only superficial injuries this time Yunyi, so I don’t expect to take too long to recover. I was able to ride my bike when I went to pick it up after being discharged from hospital, but I can’t grip the handlebar properly with my left hand. I should be okay after a couple of days.

      As for the humour, you’ve just got to laugh when this kind of thing happens, even though it’s really annoying.

      By the way, I’ve worked out what happened: I’ve successfully used the bump-up-the-kerb manoeuvre to avoid the sudden appearance of an idiot several times, but here the kerbs are choked by large tufts of grass, and because I hit the kerb at quite a narrow angle my front wheel skidded on the grass instead of taking me onto the adjoining footpath.

      Delete
    3. traffic in china is extremely "anarchistic" but i suppose you are very experienced with that. i admire your guys good hobby and lifestyle whenever you live.
      or, for changing geographic condition we discussed before (shoving off hills), i turned out love those hills, not because i started rock climbing, but mainly because biking downhill is so fun, a vicarious experience of flying.:-)
      take care!

      Delete
    4. ‘Anarchy’ is indeed a good way to describe Chinese traffic. When I visited Beijing a couple of years ago, I quickly decided that I wouldn’t like to drive there. Total chaos! Traffic in Hong Kong is better, but drivers here do some strange things that I haven’t seen done anywhere else.

      On the subject of hills, I don’t like steep descents, although they’re usually unavoidable, because it always seems such a waste of the hard work needed to gain height in the first place to lose it so quickly.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your accident, Dennis, but it looks and sounds as if you're on the mend. I can't help but notice the empty beer bottles lined up next to you...liquid analgesia? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted Kris. The local supermarket has been having ridiculous offers on Tsingtao beer (two pint bottles of draught (4.7% ABV) for 95p; pint bottles of regular Tsingtao (5% ABV) for 80p each), although I have to say that for my present condition I prefer medical marijuana!

      Delete
    2. haha, Tsingtao beer, stirs a little homesick or nostalgia, though i don't drink beer for long time. it's good beer, isn't it?

      Delete
    3. It certainly is Yunyi. Tsingtao was a German concession in the nineteenth century, and whatever else the Germans may have done, they certainly introduced beer-making skills to China.

      Delete
    4. i did not know that. no doubt it tastes so differently!

      Delete
  3. I read some of your stories about HK including the move to San Wai. I find your stories interesting but my main concern is your speedy recovery from your accident. I hope you will be able to go back to your normal biking soon and try to avoid people blocking your way. The photos I see in your blogs are typical of villages in Asia and HK in particular. The ancestral hall is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m confident that I’ll be out of action for no more than a week Freddie. This time, luckily, I have only bruises and multiple abrasions, which shouldn't take too long to heal (I fractured my patella the last time I came off my bike!). Many people aren’t aware that there are villages in Hong Kong, and there are quite a lot of ancient monuments (ancestral halls, walled villages, temples) in villages in the part of the New Territories where I live.

      Delete
  4. Oh my word Dennis. I've just seen this post (not sure why or how I missed it). You look like you've been through it for real. It's one thing when you hear the details and another thing when you see the damage done. You may have had just bruises and abrasions but it must of been really painful. I truly hope that you make a speedy recovery. No matter how careful you are on your bike, I've learned that there is always someone else who is not looking where they are going. The innocent person is always the one to get off worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To tell the truth Rum, I was probably too groggy to feel any pain after the initial impact. Speaking from experience, that stage of the process is over in a fraction of a second. In any case, I’ve been out on my bike regularly over the past week; recent injuries almost healed, earlier knee making good progress.

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.