Sunday 24 April 2022

jockeying for position: update

Three years ago, I wrote about artwork that I’d spotted on a low concrete wall marking the boundary of a public housing estate on Jockey Club Road, the main north–south artery through Fanling/Sheung Shui (Jockeying for Position). At the time, because part of the wall had not been painted, I conjectured that this might happen eventually, and yesterday, having been cycling ‘out west’, we emerged from the cycling underpass that allows us to cross this road safely, and despite focusing my attention on possible traffic on the cycle track we were about to join, I couldn’t help but notice that the remainder of the wall had indeed been covered. Consequently, I walked down there this morning to take some photos.

This is a view along the wall, which is what I saw yesterday:
The following photos show the images along the wall in sequence, starting from the left:
I had to shoot some photos at an angle because trees on the edge of the pavement, next to the cycle track, meant that I couldn’t get far enough away for a straight-on shot.
When I first saw the circular green objects, I interpreted them as slices of lime (and the theme of the work was food), but then I spotted the frog in the next photo:
They are in fact lotus leaves! The flowers in three of the above photos are lotus flowers! And, of course, the fish are koi carp, which are not noted as food items!

Continuing rightwards:
The artist responsible for these images has named herself in the final image:
This is the first time I’ve seen the artist’s name (Cheng Pui Man) on a mural, and I wonder whether she has any other work in the area that I might see in the future. However, I still believe that the original art on this wall that I featured in Jockeying for Position was the work of local schoolchildren as some kind of art project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.