Sunday 5 May 2024

creepy crawlies

I discovered recently that Paula has been photographing caterpillars, beetles and sundry other insects without my being aware of her endeavours. However, given how exotic many of the creatures are whose images she has captured, when I saw them my immediate reaction was to think that her efforts deserve a wider audience. So here they are, with occasional comments by me, although I’m unable to provide formal identification.

I don’t know where any of the first five photos were taken, but I’ll start with a strikingly exotic caterpillar:
I think that this is a praying mantis:
…but this definitely is one:
I don’t know whether the next subject is a rhinoceros beetle, but it certainly has an extended proboscis:
The next photo was taken on the top bar of the railing that runs alongside the path across ‘the swamp’, a waterlogged area on the southern edge of Lung Yeuk Tau that we walk through regularly. I would swear that this caterpillar has a face:
All the following photos that have a green background were taken on this railing.

I think that this is a cicada:
Three hairy caterpillars:
This caterpillar is being menaced by ants:
I think that this is another praying mantis:
A short video of a hairy caterpillar:


Two colourful beetles:
I’ve no idea what this is, and it is overexposed, but I still feel that it’s a worthwhile inclusion in this collection:
Four more caterpillars:
The final photo isn’t of an insect, but I couldn’t think of anywhere else to post it. The recent heavy rains have brought giant snails out in large numbers (this one is about 10cm long):
And that’s a selection of all the creepy crawly photos that Paula has taken over the past few weeks. I shall have to be more observant next year.

2 comments:

  1. It WAS great to see the variety of those creepy hairy caterpillars and wonder what they will then become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be trying to obtain further information on the identities of these creatures.

      Delete

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.