Sunday 1 July 2018

photographic abstraction #27

Between 1999 and 2002, I wrote a comic fantasy novel about imaginary creatures known as gelgins, who are responsible for everything that goes wrong in the world. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a publisher, although I have posted several extracts from the novel on this blog.

All this is probably irrelevant to a post about abstract photographs, except that the novel incorporated several mathematical concepts, including the appearance of the number 27 precisely twenty-seven times. And this post is the 27th featuring abstract photography. I’ve been writing for a while that I’m running out of ideas for new photos, and unless I can come up with something new in the next couple of months, it seems appropriate to make this post the last in the series.

By the way, in case you’re interested, The Problem with Hats is a humorous reworking of a logic puzzle that I first encountered while still at school, and Open the Box, which discusses the famous Bertrand’s box paradox, has my take on the paradox appended to the end.

The first image reminds me of bubbles rising through an array of vertical tubes:

bubbles

Although I can’t imagine playing any kind of game on the subdivisions of the next image, it does look vaguely like a check pattern:

checkmate

When I was a student, ‘continental drift’ was the name given to a largely disbelieved theory. However, it re-emerged less than ten years after my graduation as ‘plate tectonics’, evidence for which is unchallengeable:

continental drift

The next photo employs a motif that I haven’t used before, so if you think you know what it’s actually a photo of, do leave a comment:

green sheen

Many of my abstract photos look like maps to me, including this one:

mappa mundi

The final image can be thought to resemble almost anything, but it reminds me of some kind of seed-distribution process:

seeds of destiny

recent posts in this series
Photographic Abstraction #20
Photographic Abstraction #21
Photographic Abstraction #22
Photographic Abstraction #23
Photographic Abstraction #24
Photographic Abstraction #25
Photographic Abstraction #26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment if you have time, even if you disagree with the opinions expressed in this post, although you must expect a robust defence of those opinions if you choose to challenge them. Anonymous comments may not be accepted.